Knee arthritis causes serious knee pain, knee disability and affects everyday activities, like walking or climbing stairs. Such knee arthritis can occur because of Osteoarthritis of knee, commonly referred to as general wear-and-tear of the knee joint. This is the commonest form of knee arthritis seen in the patients. Other kinds of knee arthritis are Rheumatoid Arthritis of knee and Post-traumatic Arthritis of the knee (occurs after a knee injury).
- Knee Pain – generally develops slowly over time, worse after sitting.
- Knee Stiffness and swelling of the Knee joint
- Restricted Knee movements with difficultly to bend and straighten the knee.
- Knee Locking, knee creaking, knee clicking or knee snapping.
There is no treatment to reverse the knee arthritis process, current treatment for knee arthritis helps to relieve the pain and improve the disability the knee causes.
Early Knee Arthritis Treatment
- Lifestyle modifications – Switching from high impact activities (like jogging or tennis) to lower impact activities (like swimming or cycling), losing weight reduces stress on the knee joint and improves function.
- Physiotherapy and Exercises – Exercises help increase knee movement, knee flexibility and helps strengthening the knee muscles.
- Assistive devices – Walking stick, knee brace or knee sleeve, elastic bandages may also help to support the painful knee.
Mild to Moderate Knee Arthritis Treatment
- Medications – Non steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, a COX-2 inhibitor and other general painkiller helps to reduce the knee pain.
Knee Injections –
- PRP Injection – This injection constitutes healing products from patients own blood. It does work well in these knee arthritis patients and improves the cartilage health whilst reduces knee pain.
- Visco-supplement Injection – This injection constitutes of synthetically generated joint fluid, use of this injection reduces friction in the knee joint, improving knee movement and knee pain.
- Corticosteroids injections – This injection is aimed to reduce knee pain, the effect is often short lasting hence there is a limited to the number of injections per year that can be given.
Disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs) are used in rheumatoid arthritis associated Knee Pain.
Glucosamine and chondroitin sulphate tablets may also help reducing knee pain.
Surgical Treatment for Knee Pain/Knee Arthritis
- Knee Arthroscopy – Arthroscopic surgery can be considered in patients with early or mild knee arthritis if there is an accompanying meniscal tear. The meniscal tear is addressed with meniscal repair or meniscectomy which provides relief of knee pain.
- Knee Cartilage Preservation Surgery – Various methods can be used in patient with small areas of cartilage damage in the knee joint. This may include methods of cartilage transfer both arthroscopic or with conventional surgery. Stem Cell Surgery is the latest in regeneration of the cartilage damage of the knee joint.
- Knee Osteotomy Surgery – Knee osteotomy surgery is used patients where the arthritis is limited in the knee joint, the knee osteotomy shifts weight transfer from painful part of knee joint to non-painful part of knee joint.
- Half (Partial) Knee Replacement (Unicompartmental Knee Replacement – UKR ) – Partial/Half Knee Replacement is undertaken if only partial or half of the knee is affected with arthritis. This replacement surgery has good results, but is not suitable for every patient.
- Total knee replacement (TKR) or Knee Replacement – This is a common orthopaedic surgery undertaken for knee arthritis. The patient walks next day following surgery on the replaced knee and is free of the knee pain within weeks of the surgery. Overall recovery from the surgery takes 6 weeks to 3 months. Knee replacement surgery helps to relieve knee pain and improve knee mobility. The knee joint replaced lasts for about 20 years.
Dr Tawari is one of best trained Knee surgeon in Mumbai, India. He has trained in the UK with the Knee Surgeons and has consultant experience from the UK in treating Knee pain and Knee arthritis. He is also a very accomplished knee arthroscopy surgeon.
Dr Tawari offers a comprehensive evaluation, diagnosis and treatment of Knee pain and other knee conditions, and routinely undertakes knee arthroscopy and knee replacement surgery.
To make an clinic appointment in/near for location, please follow the links below.
www.gautamtawari.com/contacts or contact on – 9619618071 / 8291010015.